Hey there everyone!
Sadly we have reached the last and final update of the Healthy Living Summit. This update will cover the core purpose of attending HLS which is the fabulous sessions that were put together by Meghann, Julie and Heather <—-Awesome people by the way!
So without further ado, here are the #HLS12 Saturday Sessions!
Just Say No To On Camera Flash by Gretchen
I attended this session because hey, I
desperately need help with taking photos for the blog! No really, if you haven’t already noticed, the photos on this blog are mostly taken by my Iphone because it’s simply the most convenient camera for me to use. I always have it with me and it takes a decent photo (sometimes) but let’s be serious, photos taken with a DSLR or even a point and shoot are just much more pleasing to the eye (sorry!) Anyways, I learned SO many great tips from Gretchen’s session, and you know what? I see a DSLR camera in my near future (xmas gift anyone? )
- NEVER use on camera flash unless it’s an emergency!
- Invest in a DSLR camera and a tripod.
- Utilize natural light whenever possible.
- Aperture is what gives a photo that blurry background effect.
Blog Design Boot Camp by Julie
The next session I attended was all about blog design and why it so important. The lovely Julie,has a lot of experience designing blogs, so I knew I would gain a lot of valuable information from this session. Oh ya, and she is self-taught too! I have been wanting to change up my blog design and switch over to a self-hosted server for quite sometime now, but haven’t been able to do enough research/find the right designer just yet. Stay tuned for a makeover soon though! My biggest takeaways from this session were:
- Make sure your design is user-friendly.
- Make your subscription options visible.
- Create user-friendly social media buttons.
- Always have an about me page (preferably with a photo).
I was excited to attend all of the HLS sessions, but I was extra excited to attend this one. I’ve been blogging for only about a year (bloggerversary soon!) so I was very interested in hearing what these girls had to say.
This session was very laid back and depended on the audiences questions. Luckily everyone (including myself) had several questions for Courtney, Alicia and Chase so it worked out fantastic.
The main takeaways were:
- Do what works best for YOU! Post when you can, don’t feel pressured to post 3x a day.
- Try to be somewhat consistent with when/how often you post.
- Don’t comment on other blogs just to comment. Try to actually contribute to the conversation, AKA Quality Comments.
- Invest in business cards.
- Use Twitterfeed and NetworkedBlogs.
Keeping Up With Social Media Trends by Heather
The last session I attended was given by the beautiful Heather from Running With Sass. Her presentation was fabulous, and it was all about social media and how important it is to the blogging world. She had a lot of useful knowledge to share but the most important things were:
- Every blogger should have a Facebook & Twitter page.
- Do not post the same things on Facebook & Twitter (<— I do this, whoops!)
- Instagram is quickly growing! Every blogger should be on it!
The rest of the day was spent at the listening to the keynote speaker, Wild Harvest and mingling with other bloggers. I got to meet the inspiring and beautiful FitFluential guru, Kelly Olexa whose story is so moving. We should all be so proud of what she created, I am proud to be a FitFluential Ambassador!
I left the Healthy Living Summit a little teary eyed not only because I was sad to leave all the influential people I met, but also because I can sincerely say that I now feel like a “true blogger”.
Being in a room with hundreds of different, beautiful, inspirational women who are all motivated by the same thing; healthy living is an absolutely extraordinary experience. I met so many new friends, gained a lot of useful knowledge and had a ton of fun! The Healthy living summit was definitely a memorable weekend that I will never forget! Can’t wait for next year!
If you attended HLS, what was your favorite part?
What would you like to see more of on My Yogurt Addiction? Don’t be shy! I want to know!