Happy Friday friends!
I am feeling a little tired this morning, sort of like how this guy felt after yesterdays loooooong walk!
This morning I made myself a quick cup of Chobani plain 0% yogurt, with some ground flax seed and almond halves mixed in. Alongside, I had a cup of (caffeinated) coffee with skim milk. No decaf today kids, I need all the help I can get!
What the YUCK!
I am going to be completely random today with this post because, well that’s just the kind of mood I’m in! Yesterday after I finished talking on my cell phone, I hung up, put my phone down and then noticed something that I really wasn’t too fond of. A substantial amount of my makeup that was on my face, was now smothered all over my once white Iphone! Now I know that this is pretty much inevitable, since I almost always wear makeup, but for some reason this time I just got really skived out by it! It wasn’t the fact that MY makeup was all over the phone, it was more the fact that within seconds, my phone went from (mostly) clean to fully dirty and quite frankly unsanitary, in such a short time! I immediately got some Clorox disinfecting wipes, and sanitized my phone about 10 times! Yuck!
After this little episode, I started to think of all the other places that these nasty germs reside. One of the first places that came to mind is one of the places I frequent regularly-THE GYM! Think about it guys, bacteria thrives in moist, dark and warm places right? Well how many of those types of places can be found at the gym? Showers, saunas, dirty mats, sweaty clothes, wet machinery, and water fountains just to name a few. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little bit of a germaphobe, so when I first saw this I was disgusted! Honestly, my initial thought was to only do at home or outdoor workouts from now on, and nix the bacteria breeding gym all together!
Luckily, about 5 minutes later, my common sense decided to kick in. Lets face it ladies and gents, germs, bacteria, fungi (whatever you want to call them) are pretty much ALWAYS present e v e r y w h e r e. It is virtually impossible to get rid of ALL bacteria whether it be at home, in your car or at the gym. So what are we suppose to do in order to stay healthy, when we have all of these infections and diseases just waiting for us to make one wrong move? Prevent them from happening in the first place!
How to Avoid Gym Germs
- Inspect the Gym Before Joining- Don’t be embarrassed to ask about the housekeeping staff, inspect the locker rooms and check to make sure that there is plenty of ventilation before you join. It’s you money and your health! You have the right to make sure the gym is up to your standards.
- Don’t Go Barefoot- Always wear flip-flops in the tub, sauna or steam room. Creating a barrier between your foot and the wet surface, can help you to avoid serious conditions such as athletes foot.
- Disinfect- Always Always Always, spray down your machine THOROUGHLY before and after you use it. Make sure to wipe down the whole machine, as in all the buttons, handles, benches, seats etc. Also, use antibacterial cream once you are through with the machine, and don’t forget to wash your hands before you leave the facility. I know it’s kind of a pain, but why spread the germs into your car too? Just wash them before you leave, and then you won’t have to think about it once you are home!
- Avoid Contact- Try not to touch your face or eyes at all when you are at the gym. Similarly, if you have a cut, make sure to cover it with a band-aid prior to starting your workout.
- Don’t Use the Water Fountain!- Sorry guys! Just bring your own water from home, or try to remember to have a few bucks in your pocket just in case you forget it. The water fountain is FILLED with germs and I would highly suggest that you avoid it at all costs. Obviously if it’s a dire emergency, and you need water, use it! But for the most part try to remember to bring your own water!
- Never Share Your Belongings- Don’t share your gym towels, soaps, razors or any other personal item with someone else. It sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised at some of the things I’ve seen people share at the gym. Not good!
I hope the that the above recommendations did not scare you because the gym IS a healthy place to go. Don’t stress out, because that’s another disease all in itself! Instead, ditch the germ-phobia, and remember to take the above precautions in order to minimize the risk of contracting an infection at the gym.
Have a great Friday!
How do you avoid germs at the gym?